Thursday, March 24, 2011

Word of the week: Balance

I've recently found a relaxing way to calm my mind, though it's probably more harmful to my body than helpful: smoking tobacco through a pipe. All of my friends and I smoked in high school, but I never really enjoyed it and thought it stunk, so I quit. However, a good friend of mine suggested pipe smoking a few weeks ago during a conversation about how busy I am with school and, though I had apprehensions, I was pretty easily convinced that it would be a good opportunity to take 20-30 minute timeouts during the evening to just reflect, without falling asleep just sitting around.

Since I started I've found there's a whole counter-culture of tobacco smokers I didn't even know about, pipe smokers being among the most introspective and least egotistical. So, along with learning a new skill--loading the pipe and keeping it lit are indeed learned skills--I became immersed in a new cultural experience.

The best thing I've gained though, and what I look forward too, is those solitary moments I get, between school, work, and sleep to, step back and reflect on what's happening in my life. This way I can ensure I'm making progress on my journey and that I'm enjoying, appreciating, and learning from the things I'm putting myself through. With all of my pokers in the fire (and then some) I've decided to make time for an easy and enjoyable way to balance life and leisure: I just laid my pipe on the pleasure plate of my scale, right next to the bottle of Scotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment